Wednesday 23 November 2011

Texturing pt 3

The environment.  Yeah......about that.  I had fun doing this, no sarcasm.  For this, I loaded up an old save file of kingdom hearts and went to Travers Town.  So many bricks, so pretty, so many visible seams and duplicated textures!!  I never noticed when I played the game the first hundred times, but I guess your playing the game, not inspecting every pixel.

The scene is mostly made up of bricks.  The walls, the ground and even the door frame consists of different types, shaped and colored bricked.  It was difficult to even the brick to non-brick ratio out so it didn't look like a prison.  Also, you had to create enough bricks so the repeated texture wasn't noticeable. 

The fountain was the other tedious task.  I had some problems laying out the uv maps, and I was getting weird stretching and discoloration.  I finally broke down and rendered out the ao for it, and just applied a color to the ao for it.  I'm not happy about that short cut, I really wanted to hand paint everything, but I ran short of time and I really needed to move on. (I'm glad I did, I just noticed I need to re-do 4 hours of rendering due to my sword not perfectly lining up.  sigh.)





No comments:

Post a Comment